This is my Masterpiece

This is my Masterpiece

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Moving Mountains?

Of homework... gaak! Why is an inclusive education eight pages of homework when a typical education is two? This little learner has really put up with it two nights in a row -- for hours! Not 4 hours, but for two hours well I guess over two nights that is four hours. Look at me doing my math! Still way too long so we were jumping off the stairs during a well earned break. Mommy wanted to jump off of somewhere higher but there would still be homework and a mess to clean up so she thought wiser. He has gotten so smart about the "reward system." Here is how Gavin sees it: a problem on the page is an m&m, whole page is a prize, whole pile is a movie. Oh but I need some juice and maybe some popcorn. I am cold sitting here for two hours so maybe a blanket too, oh that feels nice. Now maybe you could scratch my back. Oh yeah I have to go to the bathroom. Here's how mom sees it: (one to one correlation = number of problems on page same as number of m&ms, sneak in a color ID by asking Gavin which color he's going to eat next, sneak in a subtraction equation = how many left, prize is a balloon (oral motor and fine motor) that we toss around and use on a break (OT gross motor) while identifying left and right sides and body parts. The movie is my ahhhhh time -- I've gotten smart about the "reward system" too!


No comments: