This is my Masterpiece

This is my Masterpiece

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Adventures in the Eclectic



31 for 21 is a challenge to write every day in the month of October for Trisomy 21 (more commonly known as Down syndrome). October is National Down syndrome awareness month. Down syndrome is present in about 1 in every 800 births but the number is really much higher. It is believed that Down syndrome or the triplication of chromosome 21 ends in miscarriage about 75% of the time. Additionally, given the diagnosis of Down syndrome prenatally about 92% choose to terminate the pregnancy.

Having a son with Down syndrome has been a life changing and life affirming event. I will never take for granted the miracles my son brings to me every day nor will I forget to celebrate every accomplishment no matter what size (as measured by the world).

While I may be among the 8% that can say, I chose him... I know on a deeper level he chose me to radically reshape my life in the best way. I am blessed to be loved so much.

No comments: