This is my Masterpiece

This is my Masterpiece

Saturday, October 18, 2008

This Child


Dear New Parent,

Congratulations on becoming a parent of a child with Down syndrome.

You don't know it yet but you are to be envied. You have a child with something extra, something more and something special. This something extra is extra LOVE. One day you will think back to this moment and know how silly all your fears were, how misplaced your sorrow was and how what you though would be a burden has become your most precious gift.

Never will an outstretched hand be softer than this child's. Never will a smile be more precious than this child's. Never will an "I love you, mama," be more sincere than this child's.

Today you may wonder, "How am I going to do this?" Or "Why me?" and soon you will hear yourself saying, "I can't wait another minute to hold this child." And "Why me, why was I chosen to receive this amazing child... how did I get so lucky?" One day soon, you will no longer be able to imagine your life without this child... you will count the minutes until you see this child again.

Soon you will read stories about amazing people with Down syndrome. Artists, musicians, athletes, teachers, medical care providers, actors. You will read about people with Down syndrome working, living independently, even marrying. Their stories will inspire you to dream all your dreams for this child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I love this! May I borrow it? Wow! I am speechless. It's so true. Our kids are the greatest ever!

SuzeBeeBlog said...

Tracy,

Thanks for stopping by. Of course you may copy it, change it, and add to it... celebrate it.

Our kids are wonderful. I had heard people say things like it and I thought they were overcompensating because they had a special child but now I know different. If I could I would have 10 (or some other large number). When I read about people who have adopted kids with DS... I so get it.

Our kids are the best kept secret and we are too humble to brag loudly from the rooftops... plus let's be honest, we don't want to share em!